FAQ Food Wraps
Food Wraps - what are they made of?
We use only 100% Organic/GOTS cotton fabrics that are certified food safe. Some printed cotton fabrics contain harsh chemicals and dyes. All dyes in our fabrics are certified organic.
What is GOTS?
- White Beeswax (certified food grade)
- Pine Resin (certified) - Is the sap collected from Pine trees. The trees naturally secrete the resin to seal up any cuts or damage to the tree. Pine resin is somewhat antimicrobial and incredibly sticky - this is what gives the wraps their versatility and tackiness.
- Organic Jojoba oil (SOIL Association certified) - Is actually a liquid plant wax – the liquid is produced in the nut of the Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) plant, a shrub, which is native to southern Arizona. Jojoba oil contains antimicrobial and antifungal properties. While lab tests found that jojoba oil doesn’t kill all bacterial or fungal species, it does kill certain bacteria and fungi that can cause salmonella, an E. coli infection, and candida. Jojoba gives the wraps their flexibility.
- Select the appropriate sized wrap and use the warmth of your hands to shape and mould it around your food item, bowl etc. The wraps should stick down and make an air tight seal.
- How to look after them
- After use wipe or rinse with a mild soap & tepid water and blot or hang to dry naturally. These wraps can be used time and time again with careful use. It is normal for the wax to You can also refresh your wraps by placing in an oven @ 160c on a clean baking sheet or parchment for a few minutes. This procedure remelts the wax coating and should only be done if you feel it is necessary. Once dry, store in one of our cotton produce bags to keep them in tip top condition.
Do’s and Don’t’s
NOT FOR raw meat/fish use.
NOT FOR use in microwave/dishwasher/washing machines.
NOT for those with Pine Allergy